3) Contents of the lesson
I would like to talk about the contents of the lesson this time and for upcoming weeks through objectively analyzing each lesson that I have observed. Participating in the lessons, I realized that I might feel very fascinated and enjoy the lessons as if I were the young students. Since I had experiences with art classrooms of significantly different period and culture, the lessons of the art class has been completely fresh and new to me. That’s why almost everything including tiny little things could give me a great impression.
As a first lesson, I want to go over Archetype Card. This lesson was familiar with me because Amber created and presented this in the last summer class. But I learned what I didn’t learn during the survey class while working with children.
Lesson 1- Archetype Card
1. Direction (by Amber)
2. Big Idea
This lesson was wonderful at representing IDENTITY as a big idea. Young children might think what kinds of person they are and want to consider themselves particular archetypes regardless whether it really resembles the part of them or who they want to be in the future.
In art making process, knowing identity can be the most important part since one’s identity has been reflected in most artworks. By this experience, young students might think about their identity and improve ability to express and reflect their ideas based on their identity in the artwork.
3. Objective
I believe the objective of this class is to:
Discuss what archetype is
Think who he/she is in terms of designated archetypes
Learn how to find objects as metaphor for chosen archetype
Be able to understand how to connote ideas as well as denote
Become familiar with creating a graphic depiction or collage
4. Student’s examples
I especially don't forget that I had the role play like a mine about what the archetype is during the Amber's presentation in the survey class. It was a brilliant idea but the role play was skipped in this lesson. If time permits, it would help students deem their archetype or identity instead of allowing some children to choose archetypes without deep thinking.
Shopper by Equazhane. S
Athlete by Ajay Chandrasekhar
The host teacher implemented VTS class by using students’ works. It was interesting and an efficient way for students to understand others as well as themselves. The children were so excited about this activity that they even don’t want to finish the class. I could hear the sound they made to express their disappointments when the teacher said the class is over. Hearing their opinions about the work, I could observe how they interpret the works and interact with each other.
Besides, in terms of postmodern art making practice, the lesson was a great choice. They dealt with various images from magazines which include the concept of commercialism and postmodernism. Through handling commercial images, they could learn the real world and how to represent their ideas by choosing and composing real images.
I especially don't forget that I had the role play like a mine about what the archetype is during the Amber's presentation in the survey class. It was a brilliant idea but the role play was skipped in this lesson. If time permits, it would help students deem their archetype or identity instead of allowing some children to choose archetypes without deep thinking.



You are so perceptive, Jooyoung. Again, I'm enjoying reading these entries, as I'm learning about my own practice through the eyes of another. This is almost like watching a video of myself ... but better.
ReplyDeleteOh, the students did participate in charades and enjoyed the process - evidently not during one of your visits. I'm glad you found that particular instructional strategy beneficial enough to notice its absence! Clearly, that exercise is a keeper.
I have been doing the archetype card lesson with my 7th graders as a first project. I love it! I feel so comfortable teaching the lesson because of my practice over the summer with Amber. Our charades rounds have been a ton of fun and are definitely a part of the lesson I would not give up. I'm hoping I can teach this lesson to a class during my principal observation this year. Amber rocks!
ReplyDeleteAw shucks. Thanks, Holly! You rock, too - we did this lesson TOGETHER remember? ; )
ReplyDeleteI remember this activity vividly during our Survey class this summer and am so happy to see it utilized in the elementary classroom. "By this experience, young students might think about their identity and improve ability to express and reflect their ideas based on their identity in the artwork. " I am happy to hear that the charades (role playing activity took place as it was very meaningful last summer.
ReplyDeleteThese are great objectives for the students to learn early so that they can elaborate on these strategies as their educational journey progresses.
Discuss what archetype is
Think who he/she is in terms of designated archetypes
Learn how to find objects as metaphor for chosen archetype
Be able to understand how to connote ideas as well as denote
Become familiar with creating a graphic depiction or collage
The use of VTS as a tool for analyzing student work is fabulous. It leaves the impression that their work is important and it emphasizes the impact of the choices they made as a communication tool. It also recognizes and respects the students as artists. "The host teacher implemented VTS class by using students’ works. It was interesting and an efficient way for students to understand others as well as themselves. The children were so excited about this activity that they even don’t want to finish the class. I could hear the sound they made to express their disappointments when the teacher said the class is over. Hearing their opinions about the work, I could observe how they interpret the works and interact with each other." The sound of disappointment that a lesson is over is the best sound a teacher can hear. I am glad that you noted that.