Thursday, January 26, 2012

Reading & Reflection for week 2

Reading “Eye of the Beholder: Research, Theory, & Practice

Waiting the first VTS lesson with new goals for this semester, I read Housen’s article. It reminded me what I have learned about VTS and what I have experienced and discovered in the VTS classes as both a student and a facilitator. While reading, I was especially interested in the detailed process of the research and the examples of responses of each Stage. It helped me have a better understanding about the reason why Housen initially conducted this research, how different each Stage viewers’ responses are and how VTS foster students’ aesthetic development.   

Since my students are mostly situated in between Stage 1 and Stage2, I also feel great empathy with what Housen mentioned that what the Stage1 viewer does not do frequently but the Stage 2 viewer does is to take a second look. After having a few lessons at the beginning of the last semester, many students of mine started to look the images again and closely. I remember, with this change, they began to try to give clues and evidences without the questioning. That’s because, I believe, they naturally understood what the second question asks for.

Planning for the VTS lessons, I am thinking how I can efficiently create the conditions that foster students’ aesthetic experience.  The most important and challenging thing might be, for me, to be a good facilitator through mastering the VTS instructions. I know the more proficient facilitator there is, the more surprising changes students show.

I am looking forward to encountering new discoveries and surprises at me and my students.    



  

1 comment:

  1. Housen's research is fascinating and very rigorous! I, too, like her examples of the different stages.

    I know you will do a great job fostering your students' aesthetic experience this semester! I am anxious to see your instructional unit as it unfolds for these students!

    ReplyDelete