Reflect on the experience of VTSing “Two images as compare/contrast stimuli.
. How was the experience different from the traditional VTS discussion of one image for you? For your students?
The most different thing from the traditional VTS discussion is that this compare/contrast VTS discussion requires facilitator’s much more consideration when choosing images since facilitators need to take into account the relation between two images. I especially avoid choosing the images which has too many figures and too much complexity to be observed or interpreted in order for students to easily compare and contrast.
My big idea is fear and my unit includes two types of art making process to express themselves as an object of fear and a victim of fear. Since these two types of art makings include the process to compare and contrast students’ experiences or imagination as an object of fear and a victim of fear, this compare/contrast VTS discussion was very beneficial to students. I chose one which represents an object of fear and the other one which expresses a victim of fear. I was very impressed by the way students understand and interpret the relation between two images. Besides, it was the first time to work on popular culture images, movie posters. My students seemed more excited about the popular culture images and their concentration was so great.
. What positive or negative challenges did the “side by side” image approach create for you? For your students?
The lesson lasted over 30 minutes. It was pretty hard to quit the lesson because students were too eager to share their ideas. It might be only one negative challenge. Except keeping the time limit, the rest of changes are positive. Dealing with two images at the same time wasn’t too hard unlike I initially thought. Students also enjoyed comparing and contrasting two images.
. Did the compare/contrast strategy enrich instruction/learning in any way?
Yes. As I said earlier, my students tried to understand and interpret not only the images but also the intention of arrangement of the images through comparing and contrasting. Compared to the previous VTS discussions, students showed higher level thinking skills, considering various points of view. It was also beneficial experience to reinforce the understanding about the big idea and art makings.
. Would you use this compare/contrast strategy in the future? If so, what purpose might it serve? What alterations in the environment or instructional approach would be required to make it successful?
Yes. I would like to use this compare/contrast strategy in the future. I am convinced through this experience that compare/contrast strategy could be successfully activated in VTS discussion. It enables students to develop not only thinking skills but also language skills in many ways.
Next time, unlike this first compare contrast VTS discussion, I would like to let them know that it would be a good idea to focus primarily on comparing and contrasting. I think it might help students focus on the process to compare and contrast rather than observing each images.
. Are there any cautions you might offer your classmates?
Since compare/contrast VTS discussion deals with two images, as I considered, I recommend them to avoid the images which has too many figures and too much complexity to be observed and interpreted. If the images are too complex, students would have a hard time comparing and contrasting or lose their interest in the discussion because they could feel it is too hard to do.

Your decision to select images that were less complex for the VTS compare/contrast was an excellent one! Your choice of movie posters to introduce contemporary visual culture into your curriculum was a wonderful choice, too. You have certainly given your students a wide range of images to consider as you've taught the big idea of FEAR. (And again, I smiled a HUGE smile when I saw that your students didn't want to stop the discussion!)
ReplyDeleteLike your experience, my students didn't want to stop after 25 minutes. Two images gave them a lot to think about. Also, I didn't specifically direct students to compare / contrast the two images until the very end of the VTS session. When I did, they REALLY started noticing things. Next time I use compare and contrast I will offer doing so at the beginning.
ReplyDeleteI am wondering, I am far behind in the implementation of my big idea unit. Did you find that students felt like they had to look at each one separately, or needed permission to compare and contrast? Was the compare and contrast something that grew organically from the vts process? If so, at what point did that happen? How did having two images challenge the linking process for you? I have so many questions, sorry!
ReplyDeleteI really like your image selection as well. I agree in advance that keeping the images more simple is important, I am imagining that in doing so, it helps the students tie the images together almost as one, they can more easily for visual relationships.
I said "it depends on you. it is okay for you to compare and contrast or only interpret one image at a time.". Yes. compare and contrast strategy really fit into VTS process. Students noticed and interpreted not only each image but also the connections and relations between images as I intended. (I wanted to show them the opposite situation as a object of fear and a victime of fear.)It was not that hard to link students' ideas even though their observation and interpretation were a little bit longer than those of the previous VTS lessons. I believe you could enjoy this process.
Delete