Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chapter 5 Legwork & Chapter 6 Eyework

Chapter 5 Legwork

Mindwork: Combine from Multiple Sources
I haven’t yet considered the following lists as data sources for my research. But these data sources would also enrich my research if I efficiently use them. 

School anecdotal records- Former teacher’s comments would be helpful to evaluate each student if the comments were written according to certain criteria.
Community alliances- the data about students’ after-school activities such as clubs, scout troops, formal or informal athletic organization or volunteer activities would show the relationship between students’ creativity and certain activity.  
Taped Classroom Talks- If I observed students’ conversation, it would be a great idea to tape their talks.
Parent Surveys- I have been interested in the relationship between students’ creativity and environmental factor. For example, does home atmosphere or parental discipline style (liberal vs conservative) affect students’ creativity? Parent survey would provide important information for the question.

Chapter 6 Eyework

Mindwork: Search Archives
I agree with the author that visiting archives would help expand historical perspective. I guess some archives might provide online service to look at the materials and information.

Mindwork: Count, Measure, and Chart
I have been thinking about how to measure students’ creativity. Since creativity is from one’s mind or thinking, it is pretty hard to be measured or quantified even though there are some ways introduced in the previous researches. Based on the methods of the previous research, I think I need to develop the methods or design a new method for quantitative data.

Mindwork: Document Oral Language
This exercise reminds me VTS research. I audiotaped and videotaped dozens of my own VTS classes in order to analyze not only students’ performance but also my performance. Since I need to translate and make an English subtitle, I looked at them at least three times. One thing I was surprised was that it was very beneficial to analyze all kinds of factors and data in the classes.

Mindwork: Try Ethnographic Observation
The questions the text provided are very useful to closely observe colleague’s class. I had already considered some of them when I did an internship at Ridgeway elementary school last year. Observing teacher’s performance, classroom management, teaching strategies and communication with students, I have learned a lot and many facts would affect my research.




1 comment:

  1. You have a very good grasp of the data sources and methods for collecting this information.

    ReplyDelete