Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week 3 Read & React


Dedicate one post to brainstorming how you might use mobile technologies or blogs in your classroom

While reading Rosen’s chapter 3, I realized again that mobile technologies could be an effective and motivating tool for education for young generation in various ways instead of being obstacles to their learning. It seems pretty challenging for teachers including me to actively accept and bring mobile technologies to classroom because, in traditional classroom, it seems to easily distract meaningful process of teaching and communication between teacher and students. Besides, we all know well how exciting and fascinating it is to young students. It is pretty scary to us because we recognize current education couldn’t provide enough experiences which are not as much fun as things brought by mobile technologies. It is obvious that young students are losing their interests in traditional learning in school. It might be way too boring and uninteresting to them.        

Therefore, I mostly agree with Rosen that we as educators need to actively apply and utilize mobile technologies in order to provide education the way young generations communicate and learn. It could be the most efficient way to inspire them to passionately participate in learning in school. So the question for reflection gives me a great chance to ponder how exactly I could bring WNDs to my art classroom. I believe there is much possibility for art, because of its nature, to interact with wireless mobile technologies. If art teachers can creatively design curriculum and use technologies in creative ways, more possibility would be open for teachers as well as students. I have thought what kinds of activity I can design by using technology in my art classroom.
 

1.      One of the strengths of WNDs is that it makes people can easily communicate and transfer information including photos, videos and various forms of resources in real time. Thanks to being connected to internet all the time, students could share their resources by using WNDs when they want to share ideas or communicate. I would encourage them to share their ideas with their resources provided by their WNDs. For examples, if a student wants to share what she or he saw at the museum to support his or her idea, he or she could transmit their photos or videos from their mobile to classroom screen. It could be more interactive class than traditional lessons.  
 

2.      Like we use the blog, I could have my students use blog as an educational tool having various functions. Students can post assignments on the blog by using WNDs wherever they are and whenever they want. Students can also share their thoughts and ideas with various resources outside the school. Especially, since students’ visual experiences strongly affect their understanding about Visual Culture, what they are seeing and feeling outside school would be very important. Therefore, using blog via WNDs outside school would be a great way for them to be continuously engaged in their learning process.    

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Kinda... LOLOL. I think what I struggle with is the meaningful part. How do we make it meaningful? With all of this reading I am seeing , albeit slowly, more possibilities for the use of things like WND's, but I will need to start experimenting. I still see these device's taking them out of the moment where they are and the place they are... Ill have to examine my own beliefs and experiences behind that.... hmmm Thank you Jooyoung. You've given me something to ponder today. :)

    ReplyDelete