Thursday, November 1, 2012

Week 11 Observing Assignment


1.Bog reflection

To find out the working preference in detail, I took some time thinking about my habits, unconscious behavior patterns occurred when I work on something, looking back upon my past days. Especially, I was looking back when I was in college and I worked at a magazine company as well as I have been in this graduate program. Soon, one important thing I found is that my working preference hasn’t been changed for 15 years even though I don’t really know whether the aspect was influenced by something or I was born with the aspect.
First of all, I enjoy planning before working. The planning process always makes me comfortable and relieves my worries and anxiety about results of work or deadline. Sometimes, it looks more like timeline rather than ideas for work. If it is plans for work, I prefer to make rough plan and spontaneously add and apply new and fresh ideas while working even though the idea could change the original one. The results tend to be better than I expected when I work in this way.    
I love to be alone in my working place. And I love to work at late night. I don’t know why but I feel much more comfortable and working at late night when others are sleeping. It seems so cool to me. During the daytime, I could hardly concentrate on work and am sleepy while I could concentrate well and do better job during the night time. I also need the door closed and love to drink all kinds of beverage such as coffee, milk, juice, tea and soda. After several days hard work, there would be many cups stacked on my desk. I don’t like to organize supplies before working and while working because too well organized environment rather makes me anxious and uncomfortable. Sometime, I could be inspired by the scattered stuffs and supplies. It never affects the effectiveness of work. It also reminds me that I am working hard. This kind of thinking can give me some satisfaction.
In the past, I preferred to listen to loud music but now I love to listen to soft music while I am working. Especially when I work on reading and writing, I usually listen to music which doesn’t have lyrics in order for the music not to distract me. However, it doesn’t matter whether the music is loud or quite and has lyrics or not when I am working on creating artworks. Any kinds of music could hardly interrupt me creating artworks.


2. Visual exercise


 
3  Observation experiment reflection

Basically I am in the middle between multi-taskers and uni-taskers (Sometimes, I prefer multitasking and sometimes I love unitasking). For me, being anything among them is not so hard. However, since I usually listen to music and drink my favorite beverage while working on making artworks, for the assignment, I tried to be a uni-tasker this time. What I felt during 30 minutes working is that the time is not that short as I expected. If I listened to music or kept drinking coffee while working, 30 minutes wouldn’t be that long. Another thing I found is that this alternative way provides a different kind of enjoyment since I could completely concentrate on working without any distraction even though I missed the sound of music and my favorite drinks. Through this experience, I would recommend my students to find and develop their own joyful and efficient working process for artmaking. As a future art teacher, I also think it could be a good idea to respect each student’s working process for better results if their processes don’t interrupt other students or classroom environment.

2 comments:

  1. I love your drawing, Jooyoung! I like the simplicity of the figure, yet accompanied with the perfect amount of detail. I can't believe you did that in just 30 minutes! Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Christine and would really like it if you could make the photo bigger on the page, Please!
    If you right click on the image it will give you a choice below the image for it to appear small, large or extra large.
    I also agree about allowing students to find their own way of working.

    ReplyDelete