Review your own BLOG posting from Lesson1 and ponder how Lesson 2 was similar and different for both you and your students.
In comparison with Lesson 1, I and students felt much more comfortable during Lesson 2. I think not only I was getting used to having VTS class but also students figured out and understood how this instruction works. It was more satisfactory and gratifying than last lesson to me, however, I found some repetitive mistakes during checking video recording. That was what I didn’t realize well during the lesson. Among students, some of them weren’t fully engaged but I didn’t thoroughly inspire them. And I gave more chances to the students who were enthusiastically taking park in the lesson. My class was quite small so I should have made all students more active.
This is also a similar problem between Lesson1 and Lesson2. I was having a hard time paraphrasing English speakers’ sentences efficiently. So I rather chose the way I paraphrase their English sentences in Korean this time. Since the English speakers can also understand well when I speak in Korean (they have problem with speaking though), this strategy made my responses more abundant and efficient and my feeling more comfortable. Linking is still the hardest part of VTS. Anyway, I was trying to focus on linking ideas during this lesson, so I did much better than last lesson.
I implemented three times during this Lesson by using Image 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 and I recorded last lesson. That’s because I wanted students to have more practice for the video recording but they were getting tired as times went by. Their concentration and participation were better in the beginning of the lesson. I think I better record before some students start to lose their interest in the lesson.
BLOG TOPIC #5: Peer Coaching
I wanted to comment on Sheyl's blog but I failed. I tried many times but the blog didn't allow me to upload my comment. So I paste my comment here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to comment on Sheyl's blog but I failed. I tried many times but the blog didn't allow me to upload my comment. So I paste my comment here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I kept smiling while reading your Lesson1 experience. I can imagine how wonderful the lesson was! This Visual Thinking Strategy is greatly attractive and educatory instruction to not only students but also teachers. I totally agree with you that I am also hooked too. You must be having so good skills and strategies as a wonderful professional teacher. I would like to learn more about detailed strategy while dealing with possible problems during the lesson if you can share sometimes.
And I am wondering if you recorded your lesson. In my case, I recorded every time I have a class. I did it because I wanted to critically analyze my speaking and teaching skill as well as check whether I follow the instruction of VTS. As I expected, this habit of recording lessons really works for me. If I didn’t record, I couldn’t have good chances to watch my lesson objectively in the third person point of view. One more advantage is that I can check my progress! Anyway, I am very impressed by your hard work and professionalism as well as your wonderful kids!!
REcording the lesson each time you facilitate is a wonderful way not only to review student behaviors, but also examine your own growing expertise. It also gets the students used to being videoed; the camera becomes less of a distraction!
ReplyDelete