In this chapter, Pink explains why symphony is becoming essential aptitude for today’s and future society with great examples. I absolutely agree with his assertion. He points out that the reason symphony is being significantly important is because automation has taken over many of the routine analytic tasks that knowledge workers once performed. No wonder that in today’s society, creator or inventor much more easily take center stage than excellent operator or technician. I personally think the distinct difference between these two types of people is that while one has original and creative idea, other one only accepts and master it. As Pink writes that innovation comes from the ability to synthesize, I believe creativity also requires the ability to put together the pieces.
His anecdote about drawing is interesting. What he points out is that I have never thought of before. He said that one of the best ways to understand and develop the aptitude of Symphony is to learn how to draw. His conclusion is that “drawing is largely about relationships.” Even though I haven’t thought that way before, I now understand what the ability to draw requires. Understand relationships between elements! I have almost same experience with Pink. I was also frustrated when I realized that my drawing is much worse than I have expected. Ironically I haven’t notice that before entering art education program.
Like drawing, Symphony is largely about relationships. People who hope to thrive in the Conceptual Age must understand the connections between diverse and seemingly separate, discipline. They must know how to link apparently unconnected elements to create something new. (Pink)
Symphony has many in common with “multi”. As Pink said, our jobs require multitasking, our communities are multicultural and our entertainment is multimedia. As the world is becoming smaller, this tendency would be expanded and strengthened. Multiplayer and multitasker would be much more competitive. He calls these people boundary crossers. According to his definition, boundary crossers mean types of people who develop expertise in multiple spheres, speak different languages, and find joy in the rich variety of human experience. It sounds very idealistic but I am a little relieved because at least I am bilingual and this experience of studying abroad and living in the different culture for long time would be very beneficial and valuable for me to become a boundary crosser.
His portfolio is a quite excellent way to develop powers of Symphony. To me, the more interesting practices are 1) Hit the Newsstand, 2) Keep a metaphor log, 3) Draw and 4) Create an inspiration board. As soon as I read these practices, something important idea initially come in mind. That was that these kinds of activities would be great choices for art class and art class could perfectly cover these activities. This is inspiring because I know that would mean art class helps students develop powers of symphony which is essential ability in new conceptual age.
No comments:
Post a Comment